Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How much should a brake job cost for a 2004 F-150? And what type of pads are the OEM brake pads?

I used to have a '97 F-150 and having new brake pads put on used to cost me about $60-80. I'm getting one of my parent's truck's done (a 2004 F-150 FX4 Supercrew - new body style) and when I called to get quotes, the lowest was about $130, and others being over $200. Is this about right?



One mentioned that OEM is ceramic pads, I assume that's true and they're not trying to upsell me better pads when not needed? Also one mentioned having to repack/grease bearings... yet one quote an extra $50 to do that, and another only $9... Is this necessary?



I appreciate any info, thanks in advance.How much should a brake job cost for a 2004 F-150? And what type of pads are the OEM brake pads?Yes the price for parts and labor is correct. The pads should run anywhere from $70-80. Also that truck does not have packable bearings don't let the shops fool you. OEM pads are motorcraft which is ford brand as for the composition of the pad material semi metallic is what came with it but ceramic is a good way to go less dust and they are quieter.How much should a brake job cost for a 2004 F-150? And what type of pads are the OEM brake pads?I can only answer the pad type here:



We have a 2004 ford excursion and it calls for Semi-Metallic brake pads, according to rockauto.com



the Excursion i believe is an F-250 frame, but ceramics aren't called for in my vehicle, and ceramics can destroy rotors that are not meant for ceramic pads.



Brake shops are going to charge more because its a large truck, but I don't know about grease packing, usually its only for the steering and other pivotal joints.

No comments:

Post a Comment