Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do I change the brake pads on a 1997 Volvo 850? I can't get the caliper back on...?

I got the old brake pads off, but now the caliper is too thin to fit over the new pads. I think I didn't do something called 'collapsing the caliper'... How do I do this?

They are the front brakes.How do I change the brake pads on a 1997 Volvo 850? I can't get the caliper back on...?Relax it's easy, first open the brake fluid resivor because when you do calape the resivor the extra fluid has to go somewhere, you might want to put a rag under it to catch any extra fluid,

then get a large c clamp and while using an old brake pad collapse the piston on the brake caliper, all the way slowly.then install the new pads and you want to put some anti seaze on the bolts that hold the caliper onto the front end, also on the back of the pads youll want some anti sqweeke, thats an easy brake job, good thing you didnt ask about new rotors. ok if you dont have a c clamp you can use agjustable plyers that would hold from the back of the caliper and the old pad and it might take some more pressure

How do I change the brake pads on a 1997 Volvo 850? I can't get the caliper back on...?You have to push the piston back in on the caliper.. There is a special tool for this or you can use a large pair of channel locks (pliers) make sure you have the old brake pad on the piston otherwise you might damage the piston (it is aluminum and can chip or break easily,, By using the old brake pad to push against all you will damage is the old pad,, and you are replacing them any wayHow do I change the brake pads on a 1997 Volvo 850? I can't get the caliper back on...?take a c clamp and push it back in. make sure the cap is off the brake fluid resivoir or its not gonna be good. if you got ABS dont do it that was you have to open the bleeder screws but use the c clamp. you will mess up the abs system if you dont let the fluid out through the bleeder screwsHow do I change the brake pads on a 1997 Volvo 850? I can't get the caliper back on...?go to the parts store and buy a c clamp and then you put one old brake pad on and use the c clamp to push the piston on the caliper back in and put it back togather all done ps.... make sure you the cap off where put the fuild atHow do I change the brake pads on a 1997 Volvo 850? I can't get the caliper back on...?If you bought your pads at Auto Zone or Checker, they have a loaner program for special tools (free) and can advise you. If your caliper is on the end of the car where the emergency brake operates off the caliper, the pistons will have to be rotated clockwise as you compress (requiring a special tool). Also, to set the newly installed pads (after assembly) the emergency brake handle must be lifted about 3 clicks and the brake pedal pumped about 50 times. This extends the pistons out to their correct position without over tightening them. Failure to lift the e-brake can result in pads binding against the rotor and a car that will not move.

No comments:

Post a Comment