Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do i brake so as to preserve the long life of my brake pads?

I brake early, usually 2 blocks before I stop. I heard that this wears out the brakes. Is this true? What is the best way to brake to preserve the brake pads/system?How do i brake so as to preserve the long life of my brake pads?It would be alot more efficient to preserve gas than brake pads. Use the brakes like a sane person would.How do i brake so as to preserve the long life of my brake pads?Break only when you need to and only long enough to come to a complete stop. I assume you are not talking about slowing down but coming to a complete stop.How do i brake so as to preserve the long life of my brake pads?it is better to pump yor brakes then to apply them gentley over a long period of time it gives them a chance to clean out the dust

goodluckHow do i brake so as to preserve the long life of my brake pads?down shift ... or use your engines compression to do it it'll take some getting used too but you'll use your brake more towards the end instead of the whole way.How do i brake so as to preserve the long life of my brake pads?put very easily, don't use them.

well OK only when you need to.

your ain't dumb you got the keyboard thing

make sure they work right. and don't heat them up, pump.

friction don't add to stuff....it turns stuff into heat and waste.How do i brake so as to preserve the long life of my brake pads?I've always believed, and practiced for several decades, braking early so as to ease the strain on the brake pads, but 2 blocks is a bit overboard on the idea. That's more like what we call %26quot;riding the brakes%26quot;, and true, that is not good for them, and also uses more fuel than necessary, and gets a lot of other drivers a bit %26quot;hot under the collar%26quot; if you know what I mean. I'm all for slower driving to conserve fuel in this day of extraordinary gas prices, but braking 2 blocks before you stop is just a bit extreme. God Bless you.



%26quot;dankish%26quot; has a very good idea and one I used for hundreds of thousands of miles, contrary to what my mechanic recommended, and, come to find out, my mechanic was wrong and I was right. My brake pads lasted over 100,000 miles and my clutch lasted 326,600 miles. God Bless you.How do i brake so as to preserve the long life of my brake pads?Actually you are close.



Start braking early but gently! very gently. This will maximize your brake life, as you are using brakes less and engine braking more. Punching the brakes early then applying power to get to the light is NOT good. Gentle pressure on the brakes and gently slowing so that you come to a complete stop at the light is best.



I tend to do the same. However, be aware of the cars behind you and wait before braking so as not to annoy those behind you.



One big advantage, you increase the chance that the light will change and you don't waste the energy coming to a complete stop and then accelerating away from it.



You will also help your mileage.



Skip downshifting as people sometimes recommend. Replacing a clutch or transmission is expensive, brakes are relatively cheap. If you have to choose between using your clutch/transmission or your brakes to slow down, pick the brakes every time, much cheaper.



Except when driving down a long downhill, of course.How do i brake so as to preserve the long life of my brake pads?Well, first you have to know what is happening when you are applying your breaks. Obviously you are trying to slow the vehicle. So the first thing is dont drive fast. This will not only save wear and tear on your brakes, but it will also save you gas. Second, allow plenty of room for stopping, dont follow too closely and give yourself plenty of time for intersections and turns. Finally, apply light even pressure to the pedal. Pushing down to hard will cause your brake pads to overheat and that will wear them out fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment